lundi 3 mai 2010

Candy Lawrence on Schoenberg and Bach (quote)



" I used to make my students write a short piece using their own 12-tone series, and despite my entreaties to be careful to avoid tonal intervals in their series, some of them would always come up with something that sounded like Mozart after too much booze.

"I also experimented with getting 16-year-olds to try writing a short fugal passage in the style of Bach, and I can assure you that they preferred playing around with Mr Schoenberg's ideas, BECAUSE IT WAS EASIER. That's not to say that they produced anything worth listening to, of course; it's just that it was easier for my little intellectuals to 'paint by numbers' and create cacophony than to put a theme against itself in an acceptably tonal fashion."

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire